Monday 12 November 2012

Burrendale: I

Timothy Belmont threw a few things into the boot of the two-seater yesterday afternoon and drove off in a southerly direction, to one of Ulster's most notable seaside resorts, Newcastle, County Down.

En route, a  metallic blue Rolls-Royce Phantom passed me on the other side of the road. Well, readers, I recognised the registration number.

It was none other than Sir William Hastings. probably Northern Ireland's most famous hotelier. It would not be unreasonable to assume that the Hastings' had been to the Slieve Donard Hotel.


I ARRIVED at my destination, the Burrendale Hotel, in the middle of afternoon. Shortly after arrival I met my companions and we proceeded to our accommodation on the first floor.

The Burrendale seems to be a very comfortable establishment indeed. We all enjoyed a glass of wine in our room, prior to having a guided tour of the facilities.

There is a spa, complete with twelve-metre swimming-pool.

In the evening we dined informally in the Cottage lounge bar. I had County Down duck with large scallops and vegetables. Lady A had chicken curry; B, smoked salmon and prawns.

After dinner, we were entertained in the main lounge by a singer called Finbar, a considerable crooner in the style of Elvis Presley.

No comments :