Monday 1 March 2010

The 1st Fitting

I collected David Young from the central bus station in Belfast at about three-thirty yesterday afternoon. Mr Young is a bespoke tailor, and had travelled quite a distance to meet me.

We motored back to my house where, without further ado, he produced two folders of cloth swatches. I'd intimated that I'd most likely opt for a dark grey shade. David Young is a very agreeable, soft-spoken person and there was no pressure to make a hasty decision at all. I usually know what I want, at any rate.

Subsequently, over some coffee and biscuits, and with a little guidance from him, I chose a dark grey worsted cloth, 12 ounces in weight, by a company called Holland and Sherry. I already have a woollen flannel mid-grey suit, so I wanted a slightly darker shade.

My preference is for a three-piece suit which does add considerably to the overall cost. Seemingly, waistcoats are not cheap to create. Mr Young took the requisite measurements - I still had the measurements from my 1983 suit - so the process was relatively straightforward. We discussed pockets, how the trousers would be held up, lining etc.

Mr Young finally requested a £200 deposit and advised me that he would return for a second fitting in about six weeks' time. Incidentally, he told me that another client, from the University, had phoned him to place an order for a dinner jacket.

So, at about five forty-five, we drove back to the bus station at Glengall Street where his bus was due to depart at six o'clock.

4 comments :

Sharon Owens said...

How very civilised!

Timothy Belmont said...

Ha ha, indeed! I'll keep you abreast of events. :-)

jebs said...

haha! that univeristy client is myself, booked on advice taken from this very blog. Keep up the good work!

Timothy Belmont said...

Great to hear from you; I did wonder, because David mentioned it and I then told him about my blog. He didn't ask me what my blog was called - perhaps he's not "into" computers and the Internet.

I showed him my ancient DJ of 1933! David was able to tell what this cloth was; and that type of cut; and that the lining was satin etc.

I was unsure about how to pay him re Euros etc. so he took a cheque in Sterling and said he's work the rate out next time for the balance. The waistcoat adds a lot to my order: €400! Must be all those button-holes...

I have an article about my old DJ with a photo (the pic isn't very good) if you use the search facility for my dinner jacket.

Doesn't look as if it'll get an airing at C Ward this year!