Tuesday 16 February 2010

Ancient Relic

I called at the Linen Hall Library in Belfast today, yet again; speaking of which, there are plenty of antique relics floating about on the old, hallowed floor-boards. It's amazing what emerges from the woodwork.

I brought the digital camera with me; grabbed a volume of Burke's Landed Families of Ireland, 1912; and proceeded to take images of several coats-of-arms.

My handiwork can be viewed already at my Ardnargle article, whence I have replaced the original image with Burke's 1912 Arms.

I performed my usual trick of darting in to Marks and Spencer for some of their estimable fodder.

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

Have you ever thought of applying for your own arms, Tim? It's a bit (very?) pretentious nowadays, but still done. My g-father, when he took silk, was the last in my family I know of to do it personally; College of Arms still run it all.

W.

Timothy Belmont said...

I like to display images of any pertaining to my articles, mainly because I think it adds a bit of "colour" to them. The European Heraldry ones are quite brilliant, I feel. I like to bring everything together, particularly the extinct ones that could be forgotten or overlooked.

I agree with you, W; I think applying for them today would be a bit pretentious, unless hederitary peerages are revived!