Tuesday 22 December 2009

The First Fire

We lit our very first fire in the sitting-room today and, I am gratified to say, it lit with one match immediately. I haven't lost the old touch!

There is no mystery to my technique at all: Screw up half a dozen pieces of newspaper; throw in some fire-lighters, if you have them; arrange half a dozen kindling sticks gently on top; and then, with tongs, place a number of coals strategically.

This method seldom fails me.

I had to place an order for heating oil on Saturday. The last delivery was about June 2nd, so it has lasted very well.

2 comments :

Peregrine's Bird Blog said...

I was over in England on weekend and came home at midnight on Sunday to find oil had run out and the house extremely cold!! Fortunately have a wood burning stove which is open to on both sides which helped heat the house for a few hours.

You might find this interesting.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8426984.stm

Peregrine's Bird Blog said...
This comment has been removed by the author.