Thursday 19 June 2008

Here's A Toast To Sandwiches

Sadly, I have had to return the toaster I bought from Amazon, the mail order company. It's a shame and rather disappointing really; not Amazon's fault, I hasten to make clear. Amazon's service has, so far, been impeccable. They even make it easy and relatively simple, certainly straightforward, for customers to return items.

The toaster, a Kenwood TT560, simply refused to brown my toast; even on the maximum setting. It invariably popped up half done and I had to toast it a second time and keep an eye on it. Most disappointing, especially since it was a recommended Best Buy from Which, the consumer magazine. Perhaps the toaster they sent me just had a faulty timer control.

I made a quick dash into Marks and Spencer's Belfast store this morning. It's my Castle Ward Opera evening tonight and I fancy several rounds of delectable sandwiches. M&S have a far superior choice of sandwiches than most other supermarkets.

I have chosen Lochmuir smoked salmon, garlic & herb soft cheese, pickled cucumber & spinach on dark malted bread; king prawns with sliced avocadoes & a tangy cocktail sauce, lettuce & cucumber on oatmeal bread.

For dessert, I have selected Lemon Soufflé made with cream & lemon juice, hand-finished with caramelised orange shreds.

Furthermore, I have a miniature bottle of champers. All that is required now is some decent weather. I prefer to picnic al fresco.

No comments :